What is methamphetamine?
The amphetamines are stimulant medications.
Methamphetamine may be used as a drug of abuse. Street names for methamphetamine include: meth, crystal meth, speed, pure, ice, crank, glass and P.
Skin effects of methamphetamine use
Methamphetamine may cause side effects including skin problems.
- Grayish leathery texture to the skin
- Increased sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Repetitive or compulsive skin picking causing excoriations and ulcers.
- Increased dental wear and decay.
Rarely, allergic reactions have been reported.
- Lichenoid drug eruption
- Acute generalised exanthematous pustulosis
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome–toxic epidermal necrolysis
As with other drugs of abuse which are injected intravenously or subcutaneously, soft tissue infections (cellulitis) related to methamphetamine use are the most frequent cause of hospital presentation.
Skin picking due to methamphetamine