DermNet provides Google Translate, a free machine translation service. Note that this may not provide an exact translation in all languages
Author: Kevin Zheng, Medical Student, University of Auckland, New Zealand; Chief Editor: Dr Amanda Oakley, Dermatologist, Hamilton, New Zealand, August 2015.
Bleach baths are recommended in patients with frequent skin infections to reduce skin colonisation by pathogenic bacteria, particularly Staphylococcus aureus. Bleach baths have been reported to reduce the severity of atopic dermatitis and to reduce the need for topical steroids and antibiotics.
Staphylococcal infections of the skin and soft tissue are common, especially in children, and can be severe. Despite treatment, more than 20% of patients with skin and soft tissue infections have a recurrence within three months. Primary staphylococcal skin infections include:
Secondary staphylococcal infections include:
Predisposing factors for skin and soft tissue infections include:
Attempts to reduce S. aureus by decolonisation of the skin include combinations of:
Bleach baths are dilutions of household bleach with water in a bath. The concentration of chlorine is similar to that of a swimming pool. It has antimicrobial action.
In conjunction with other methods of decolonisation, bleach baths reduce rates of recurrent primary and secondary skin and soft tissue infections.
Bleach baths have a broad spectrum of action against:
No microbial resistance has been reported to sodium hypochlorite. The effect of bleach baths on decolonising the patient's skin is only temporary, so must be repeated regularly.
Bleach baths also seem to reduce inflammation and itching in eczema.
Mix 2 ml of 2.2% household bleach for every 1 litre of water to make a 0.005% solution. Brands vary strength, so check the label. If the concentration is higher, use less bleach, and if the concentration is lower, use more bleach.
|Bath Type||Usual Capacity||Millilitres (mL) of 2.2% Bleach required|
|Baby bath||15 litres of water||30 ml (approx. two tablespoons)|
|Full-sized bath||80 litres of water (for 10 cm deep)||160 ml (approx. half a cup)|
Bleach for a bleach bath
Exposure to bleach baths can lead to:
These symptoms are often due to added perfumes or detergents in the bleach. If troublesome, try another brand. Do not apply the bleach directly to the skin.
Toxicity or poisoning is rare but potentially very serious. It is usually due to ingestion of undiluted solution. Keep bleach in its original container with a child-proof top and make sure young children are not able to open it.
Ingestion of small volumes may lead to:
Ingestion of large amounts or more concentrated solutions can lead to:
Books about skin diseases
© 2022 DermNet New Zealand Trust.
DermNet NZ does not provide an online consultation service. If you have any concerns with your skin or its treatment, see a dermatologist for advice.